[ home ]  [ deutsche version ]  text/print version ]
football in: [ 2010 ] [ Today ] [ Germany ] [ Africa ] [ Asia ] [ Internet ] [ Universe ] [ Archives ]
African Nations Cup MALI 2002
Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D
3rd place
Cameroon - Côte d'Ivoire
Before the match:
Cameroon with a victory can already qualify for quarter finals and this is double pressure on the Ivorians as this might be an additional help for Togo who face Cameroon last. At the 2000 Nations Cup this had already been the second match of the group and Cameroon had clearly dominated, winning 3:0. It will be an interesting match up whether the strong Cameroon defenders can contain the exciting attacking line of the Elephants once more.
> preview group C
Cameroon have been the optical attraction not only because the spectacular strike by Patrick Mboma which provided the win against the DR Congo but also through their new sleeveless muscle emphasing shirts. Coach Winfried Schaefer seems to have found the right mixture of improvisationa and organisation around the team and so Cameroon have to be clear favorites.
It would be a pity if the talented and sometimes spectacular 'Elephants' left the tournament after the first round but since the scoreless draw with Togo the Ivorians are under pressure. Although playing with three attackers they had not been able to put the ball past the very good Togolese keeper. Today they will face an even better defence and can expect similar strong goalkeeping against them so that it will be an uphill struggle definitively.
Cameroon go into the match as clear 54% percent favorites to win (odds: 4/6 frac. 1.67 dec.), Côte d'Ivoire are rated 18% (4/1 frac. 5.0 dec.), a draw 28% (11/5 frac. 3.2 dec.).
> more about the new possibilities of betting on African matches

The match
A classic and a showpiece of West African football and the African Nations Cup. Artistic ball control, athletic challenges, great technique, wild shots, and enthusiastic respond by the two fan groups.
The first 20 minutes belong to Cameroon who have their biggest opportunity after an error by an Ivorian defender which allows Eto'o to take the ball and run into direction of the Ivorian goal. But his 20 meter shot clashes narrowly wide
After 25 minutes some promising attacking attempts by Côte d'Ivoire, though one is ending in yellow card against Abdel Kader Keita for diving, after 34 minutes another good scene for the Elephants and Alioum.
Côte d'Ivoire with a good share of the action and the biggest scene of the second half so far in the 75th minute when Cameroon keeper Alioum makes a phenomenal save to deny an Ivorian header crossing the line. Or has it? Two players raise their arms but there is no evidence.
In the 85th minute a corner kick for Cameroon and a lack of concentration among the Ivorians. Mboma jumps unchallenged into the ball and heads it into the goal. - 1:0
After the goal the momentum is completely on the Lions side and they have two more goal scenes by Eto'o.
final score 1:0
Cameroon are qualified for the quarterfinals and Côte d'Ivoire hopes are not only pinned on their last match but also on the right outcome of the other remaining matches in the group.

match data as published by CAF Online:
Referee: Gamal El Ghandour (EGY))
Ass. Referees: Dramane Dante (MLI), Pedro Simao (ANG)
Scorer: Patrick Mboma 84 
Attendance: 15,000 
Cameroon: 1-Boukar Alioum; 8-Geremi Fotso Njitap, 5-Raymond Kalla, 4-Rigobert Song, 2-Bill Tchato; 17-Marc-Vivien Foe, 12-Lauren, 20-Salomon Olembe (21-Daniel Ngom Kome, 66), 3-Pierre Wome; 9-Samuel Eto`o, 10-Patrick Mboma 
Ivory Coast: 1-Losseni Konate; 8-Ibrahima Kone, 2-Habib Toure, 19-Didier Zokora, 6-Blaise Koffi Kouassi; 4-Lassina Diabate, 13-Aliou Siby Badara, 3-Mamadou Coulibaly, 7-Tchiressoa Guel (21-Zephirin Zoko, 88); 10-Ibrahima Bakayoko (9-Kandia Traore, 78), 12-Abdelkader Keita 
Ivory Coast: 4- Diabate (4), 12- Kader (25), 6- Kouassi (35)


© The Shot That Passed Right Through The Net [ www.the-shot.com ]. Mail to: [ Mail ]
African Nations Cup MALI 2002 coverage [ Qualifiers ] [ Preview ] [ Matches ] [ Review ] [ About ] [ Live ]
[ Home ]