[ home ]  [ deutsche version ]  text/print version ]
football in: [ 2010 ] [ Today ] [ Germany ] [ Africa ] [ Asia ] [ Internet ] [ Universe ] [ Archives ]
African Nations Cup MALI 2002
Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D
3rd place
Burkina Faso - Morocco
With Burkina Faso a fourth team has thrown its hat into the ring in a very close competition. Goalscorers have been locked out so far, a reminder to Cameroons supertough World Cup group 1982. Anything will be open until the last match but points from all matches count the same. If goals are scored even a draw would lift the two to the top of the table, as weird tie break scenarios loom in this group. 
> preview group B
Morocco would like to avoid a must win situation against group favorites South Africa in the last match but face a tough test here. In their first match against the other West African team in the group Ghana one had had the better chances but no scores. This time one will have to convert because Burkina Faso might offer few more holes but seem to have as talented players as Ghana and a well functioning unit.
Burkina Faso seem to have accomplished to import the improvement of their youth teams into the young squad which has impressed against South Africa and electrified the home fans in a country which has a common border with Mali. So expect a half home game for the team which will have to score this time or avoid to concede opportunities like in the first match when it was rather to the grace of the South African forwards that no score punished them.
Burkina Faso seem still to be underrated as 15% percent outsiders (odds: 5/1 frac. 6.0 dec.) against fancied Morocco who are 57% favorites (4/7 frac. 1.57 dec.), a draw is at 28% (11/5 frac. 3.2 dec.).
> more about the new possibilities of betting on African matches

The match
-Burkina Faso with a very young team and their two Under 17 World Cup youngsters Madi Panadentoiguiri and Wilfried Sanou who both have their surname on the shirt.
-Both teams with attacking attempts and three half chances for Morocco ('9) ('14) ('18)
-('22) Hicham Zarouali - 0:1 low shot from 8 meters. The Burkinabé defence does not clear a cross properly, Chippo fires but does not hit the ball properly and it rolls to the feet of Zarouali who scores
-('29) the Burkinabé keeper impresses with a quick long kick to set up a dangerous counter which is only stopped by a close offside call. A schoolbook superfast keeper kicks-header sends striker through pattern.
-Morocco has to replace an injured player (Amzine) after 30 minutes by El Brazi.
-After Morocco had dominated the match, since the 35th minute Burkina Faso have some scenes as well and towards the end of the half put a lot of pressure on the Maroccan goal and Mooccan goalkeeper Benzikri seems to have a few problems with crosses..
-6:6 corners (had been 2:6 only 5 minutes before the half)
halftime 0:0
-spectacular begin to the second half with goalpost twice (Bassir, Zarouali) for Morocco and Benzikri once rescuing against Burkina Faso captain Oumar Barro
-Morocco dominate the match, Burkina only react
-('51) Burkina Faso dangerous, Dagano wants a penalty but does not get it
-('55) More chances on both sides as Benzikri stops a Burkina Faso free kick (Sanou) and Morocco shoots wide (Bassir set up by Ramzi)
-('57) free kick by Sanou, deflected by the wall,-Burina Faso #19 Moumouni Dagano puts his head in and scores - 1:1
-('59) Burkina Faso header hits the crossbar (Dagano again)
-('73) both teams have made all three substitutions now, Burkina's last has been A. Ouedraogo for Sanou
-both seem to play more careful now
-('81) Burkina break through and Benzikri rescues the draw against two attackers - huge scene
-('83) odd looking corner bpunces on the ground, drives through an odd loking defence - header Zarouali,  goal Morocco - 1:2
-injury time pressure by Burkina Faso bu Morocco resist successfully
final score 1:2
A good match with a Moroccan team that spotted and converted their opportunities well and a Burkinabé side that played a little unlucky and inconsistent.
Morocco  2 2-1 4
South Africa  2 0-0 2
Ghana 2 0-0 2
Burkina Faso  2 1-2 1
Morocco need a draw or a convenient result in the other match to advance. Burkina Faso need to win, possibly by two goals depending on the exact result of the other match.

match data as published by CAF Online:
Referee: Lim Kee Chong (MRI) 
Ass. Referees: Vincent Texier (FRA), Ali Tomusange (UGA) 
Burkina Faso - Moumouni Dagano 58 
Morocco - Hichem Zerouali, 22, 85 
Halftime: 0-1; Attendance: 6,000 
Burkina Faso: 22-Mohamed Kabore, 2-Lamine Traore, 3-Brahima Cisse (20-Boureima Ouattara 67), 4-Mamadou Tall, 5-Madou Dossama, 12-Soumailia Tassembedo, 6-Saidou Mady Panandetiguiri, 10-Ali Ouedraogo (17-Narcisse Yameogo 54), 11-Wilfred Sanou (7-Alassane Ouedraogo 72), 9-Oumar Barro, 19-Moumouni Dagano 
Morocco: 22-Driss Benzerki, 3-Akram Roumani, 5-Abdelilah Fahmi, 6-Nouredine Naybet, 17-Gharib Amzine (8-Faouzi El Brazi 32), 12-Nourdin Boukhari (7-Rabii Lafoui 74), 15-Youssef Safri (Rachid Benmahmoud 66), 18-Youssef Chippo, 10-Adil Ramzi, 11-Hichem Zerouali, 14-Salaheddine Bassir 
Burkina Faso: 2 Lamine Traore (34), 4- Tall (84), 6- Mady (90)
Morocco: 2- Lamine Traore (75)


© The Shot That Passed Right Through The Net [ www.the-shot.com ]. Mail to: [ Mail ]
African Nations Cup MALI 2002 coverage [ Qualifiers ] [ Preview ] [ Matches ] [ Review ] [ About ] [ Live ]
[ Home ]